NHRC for security review at all juvenile homes
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has recommended to the Delhi Police Commissioner about security of all the Juvenile Homes in Delhi after an investigation revealed drug abuse, sexual assault and violence using surgical blades among inmates of Seva Kutir Juvenile Home at Mukherjee Nagar.
- NHRC directed the Chief Secretary to look into it & submit an action taken report.
- In 2013 the case was registered suo motu based on media reports mentioning above illegal activities coupled with the Juvenile Home’s security staff’s incapability.
- NHRC observed during investigations that some juveniles used drugs by sneaking them in tablets/chewing tobacco in the Home.
- The staff were also terrified for their own safety as they were also attacked by the juveniles.
- The staff posted (18 out of 34) were on contractual basis with de-motivating factors of no pay on time and non-permanent status.
- NHRC demanded deployment of adequate security personnel in the private agency as per the guidelines recommended by Delhi Police.
- National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)
- Juvenile Justice Act
- Constitutional status of Delhi Police