- The Principal Bench of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) issued contempt of court notices to the Engineer-in-Chief of the Public Works Department and the Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (APCCF) of the Forest Department of the Delhi Government for allegedly defying its orders of leaving 1 metre space while undertaking construction near trees, and cutting the roots of hundreds of trees.
- It also directed them to cover the cut roots immediately.
- Earlier NGT had issued stern warning to both the departments over causing damaged to the trees.
- According to a complaint:
- Despite the trees being marked by NGT, PWD during road construction had cut their roots, causing felling of some.
- This is apparently the norm practised for inducing felling of trees that have restrictions placed over them.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-newdelhi/battle-heats-up-to-protect-delhis-trees/article6021507.ece