Option B Plus to Cut Risk of Perinatal HIV Transmission
- As part of National AIDS Control Programme, a new drug regimen- Option B Plus is adopted in Maharashtra and 3 Southern states.
- This reduces mother-to-child HIV transmission levels from 30% to 2%.
- C-Section is not compulsory anymore (normal delivery is an available option), and mothers can breastfeed the babies without fear of transmitting HIV (as infants will be on medication too).
- Pregnant women who are HIV-positive are put on lifetime anti-retro-viral treatment.
Recently HIV Salvage Therapy was launched in India.
- National AIDS Control Programme (NACP)
- Option B Plus drug