- Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has pledged to plug holes in the Navy’s fleet to:
- Enable the force to protect commercial shipping lanes in the Indian Ocean.
- Ensure the Navy’s “operational preparedness.”
- Adopt a pro-active posture by persisting with its deployments to safeguard the economic and maritime interests.
- Speed up induction of new platforms in the Navy.
- All 44 naval ships and submarines that would join the force should be built in Indian shipyards.
- Focus on pro-active naval diplomacy to overseas deployment and bilateral exercises with regional navies in the South China Sea, Western Pacific and the Persian Gulf.
- Solve manpower shortages in the Navy, which required skilled personnel.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-national/navy- must-adopt-proactive-role- jaitley/article6146465.ece