- Pressure is mounting on The Dow Chemical Company to answer the court with regards to the its subsidiary Union Carbide Company’s (UCC) repeated refusal to appear in the ongoing criminal case against it in the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
- The 1984 industrial disaster involved the leakage of deadly methyl isocyanate subsequently killing many thousands.
- A parent company may be held liable for the debts of its subsidiary in circumstances which are different in different legal systems. Since Dow exercises legal control over UCC, it also has the legal responsibility for UCC’s current attitude towards the tragedy.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/dow-under-pressure-to-attend-court-hearing/article6165459.ece
- Bhopal Gas Tragedy
- Role of Dow Chemical Company
- Methyl Isocyanate