Far from resolved
- Environment Minister Mr.Moily’s plans to enable field trails of genetically modified (GM) food crops through a change in official policy, a highly contentious issue.
- He stated in Rajya Sabha that field trails are necessary to generate biosafety data.
- The government will file a affidavit covering various Ministry’s permissions for trails in the Supreme Court.
- The data on biosafety and restrictions of usage on GM crops is an important dimension in India.
- Transgenic plant varieties are considered to be safe according to GM crop industry but oppose the labeling of products.
- UPA government has permitted field trials of GM food crops which has a transparent regulatory mechanism which does not take needless decisions.
- With dissolution of Lok Sabha, the Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India Bill 2013 will lapse before its scrutiny by Parliamentary Standing Committee on Science, Technology and Environment.
- GM varieties include rice, wheat, maize, sugarcane & vegetable & their impact on health & environment should be considered before granting permission.
- GM agriculture needs scientific assessments to ensure that our diverse agricultural heritage, traditional seed varieties are not wiped out by mono culture.
- Genetically Modified Crops (GM)
- Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India Bill 2013