- Public health experts have cautioned that the controversial experiments on mutant viruses could unleash a potential pandemic, and its adverse affects far outweigh the possible benefits from it.
- Scientists are conducting experiments by creating and altering viruses to understand how natural strains evolve into more lethal forms that spread quickly among humans.
- The risks are due to the high risk of contamination of one person, who then spreads it to another potentially unleashing a pandemic.
- It is reminiscent of a previous crisis in 2012 when US biosecurity panel refrained from publishing a report on the studies conducted on mutant bird flu viruses as they were too dangerous to publish.
- One fear was that the bioterrorists may acquire the recipe for these pathogens.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/lives-at-risk-from-mutant-virus-research/article6035166.ece