- World’s largest atom smasher, The Large Hadron Collider, after months of maintenance and upgrade is set for its 2nd 3-yr run.
- Recently used to discover the Higgs boson particle, this collider will push the proton beam close to the speed of light 11,000 times a second around a 27km tunnel near Geneva.
- Two beams will be fired within the collider at the same time in opposite directions to recreate the scene a split second after the big bang that according to the scientist led to the formation of the universe.
- This experiment, conducted at the top most particle physics labs abbreviated as CERN will reveal more about antimatter, dark matter and hidden dimensions of space and time.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/large-hadron-collider-gears-up-for-second-run/article6143349.ece