Jharkhand’s Girl Footballers Wait for Their Own Football Field
- The village of Hutup, in Jharkhand has come into spotlight, when teenage girls from the place performed well in the football tournament in Spain. In spite of 6 months after their remarkable performance, these girls are still waiting for a football ground of their own.
- In August, 2013 these girls won the third prize at Gasteiz, located in Spain. These girls were trained by an NGO named Yuwa India. The state chief minister, Hemant Soren then had promised to provide the players with all the sports facilities, including a new ground.
- As per their coach, Franz Gastler the path of success was not so easy for the girls, as they had to face lots of rejections in the past. They were not allowed to participate in the State events as well.
- There were 4 members who were in the national camps, out of which only 3 could make it to the national team to compete. Many other state players, especially women, faced physical and verbal abuse in their respective teams
- Mr. Gastler, a 30 year old American citizen, who lives in Ormanjhi, the outskirts of Ranchi, has been training these girls since 2009. His motive is to train these girls as a part of the social developmental program through sports. This will help these girls have access to better education, and could make their careers as sport instructors.
- Non Governmental Organisations (NGO)
- Jharkhand women footballers
- State apathy towards Sports