- Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko vowed to quickly crush the rebellion in Donetsk region.
- Kiev’s anti-terrorist operation has finally begun for control over Donetsk international airport .
- Militants were in control of the airport perimeter but Ukrainian forces recaptured the airport from the self-defence forces.
- Coal mines have gone on strike in protest against the Ukrainian assault on the city and Coal miners demand the withdrawal of Ukrainian forces from the region.
- The situation was calm in Donetsk but in Sloviansk,a Ukrainian artillery shell struck a school.Children and staff had a narrow escape, but artillery bombardment elsewhere in Sloviansk a child & civilians were wounded.
- US President Obama offered strong support for Kiev’s bloody suppression of pro-Russian protests in the east.
- Mr. Putin’s foreign policy aide Yuri Ushakov said that Kiev’s use of force in the east “is pushing the situation into deadlock.”
- Mr.Ushakov sidestepped Moscow’s reaction to Donetsk’s plea for military help amid reports that Chechnya’s strongman Ramzan Kadyrov had sent war-hardened fighters to eastern Ukraine.
- Militia in Donetsk received “powerful reinforcements” from Luhansk region.
- Chechen militants in Donetsk admitted that they had been sent by Mr. Kadyrov.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-international/ kiev-refuses-to-step-back/ article6059167.ece