Kerala Farmers Reject MoEF office Memorandum On Ecologically Sensitive Area (ESA)
- Since Kerala is opposing the Kasturirangan report mainly due to it’s demarcation of ecologically sensitive areas, Ministry of Environment and Forest had sent a memorandum seeking to re-draw the boundaries, but farmers rejected the memorandum.
- The report had classified 123 high range villages as ecologically sensitive areas, but Kerala government sought to redraw ESA boundaries to exclude human habitations and farm lands.
- Farmers also alleged that the report is biased as it had excluded places with high mineral reserves and included others in the ESA.
- Farmers also blamed government for not thinking before giving its assent for making Western Ghats as World Heritage Site and Biodiversity hotspot.
- Ecologically Sensitive Areas
- Kasturirangan Report
- Madhav Gadgil Report
- Biodiversity Hotspot
- World Heritage Sites