- Environmentalist and Prof Madhav Gadgil has termed the recommendations of Kasturirangan Committee on Western Ghats as undemocratic citing it doesn’t involve participation of Gram Sabhas in decision making.
- Kasturirangan Report has become a bone of contention between sates and centre as many states including Kerala and Karnataka have opposed the recommendation particularly on declaring a region “eco sensitive.”
- High Level Working Group (HLWG) on the Western Ghat [Kasturirangan Committee] has identified 37% of western ghats as ecologically sensitive where mining, quarrying, construction activities ,thermal power plants have been banned.
- It should be noted that earlier government has constituted Western Ghats Ecology Expert Panel (WGEEP) under the chairmanship of Prof.Madhav Gadgil whose report was shelved by Union Government.
- Ecologically Sensitive Regions
- Madhav Gadgil Report on Western Ghats
- Kasturirangan Report on Western Ghats