- Nigerian President Jonathan vowed “total war against terrorism” following mass abduction of schoolgirls by Boko Haram Islamists amid attacks in three border villages.
- The President is determined to protect their democracy,national unity and political stability by waging a total war against terrorism and no efforts would be spared to rescue the 200 girls kidnapped from a school in the north-eastern town in Borno state on April 14..
- The day Mr.Jonathan vow to end the violence the Boko Haram had killed 35 people in separate attacks with Cameroon, opening fire on villagers and torching homes.
- Africa’s populous country and biggest economy(returned to democracy in 1999) has been blighted over the past 5 yrs by an Islamist insurgency.
- The Boko Haram group is linked with foreign organisations such as al-Qaeda.
- Nigeria blames outside forces for the Boko Haram violence, but experts reject this claim.
- Nigeria lacks the capacity to end the insurgency as acute poverty, illiteracy and official corruption have continued to fuel the violence.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-international/ jonathan-vows-total-war- against-boko-haram/ article6063890.ece
- Boko Haram
- Kidnap of Schools in Nigeria
- Violence in Nigeria