- The Karnataka govt has sought financial assistance from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), which earlier offered financial help for drinking water projects, to improve 3500 km of rural roads in the State.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY), 2,339-km stretch will be taken up at a cost of Rs.1,119 crore; and under Namma Gramam Namma Raste scheme 20-km stretch under villages will be upgraded.
- Funds being released for rural road maintenance will be increased by 20% and a task force, consisting of all legislators, will have the authority to execute it.
- Survey will be conducted to identify the villages where work needs to be done, and foot-bridges will also be built to facilitate children attending schools.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/govt-to-seek-jica-assistance-to-upgrade-3500-rural-roads/article6175916.ece