Is North Korea really bothered about reunions?
- North Korea had earlier pledged nuclear attacks in revenge for U.S -South Korean war games, but recently it decided on reunion of the elderly Koreans separated since Korean War.
- North Korea’s about-turn is mainly concerned about the poor financial status & to separate Seoul & US & is not bothered about reunions of Koreans who haven’t seen each other since the war’s end in 1953.
- A Korean specialist has commented that North Korea is least bothered about humanitarianism as reunion talks has always suspended owing to their violent behavior.
- After higher level discussions with Seoul, reunions were allowed to progress. US & South Korea refused to join the reunion which was held after 3years.
- Finally, overwhelming moment had come where South Korea & North Korea reunion took place even though a fraction of separated Korean group met. There were no spotlight for second meetings.
- North Korea mainly targeted increased aid shipments, outside investment & negotiations with South Korea.
- Hence Korea started to work jointly & has permitted 5 pvt groups’ aid shipments to North, worth about $1.4 million.
- US refused to talk to North Korea and it is alleged that they have always tried to divide the Koreans.
- The US- South Korea military drill is said to be an attempt from US to spread violent tensions in the peninsula.
- South Korea – North Korea relations
- South Korea US relations