Interfaith Marriage Law in Myanmar
- Myanmar’s ruler Thein Sein proposed some restrictions on interfaith marriages in the Buddhist dominated country.
- The Proposals are as follows:
- Protection to ethnic Buddhists when they marry persons from other religions.
- Ban on Polygamy
- Legislation for controlling population
- Earlier Myanmar had drawn flak from several quarters for introducing “two child policy” in Rankhine State and Rankhine is majorly a Muslim inhabited region.
- There have been deadly clashes between Buddhists and Muslims over many issues in the country-which has forced many Muslims to flee their own nation.
- Rakhine Buddhists
- Rohingya Muslims