Intelligence Scores to determine Mental disability of Prisoners in US
- Certain states of US use Intelligence Score of a person to determine his/her mental disability.
- Intelligence score above 70 means a person is not mentally disabled, irrespective of other tests which may confirm his/her mental illness.
- The issue arose when a prisoner who scored more than 70 in Intelligence test is scheduled for death sentence sought reprieve saying he is mentally disabled hence can’t be executed as his doctors and his medical history says he is mentally disabled.
- Doctors criticised the methodology to determine mental disability solely based on IQ Test.
- Death Sentence
- Intelligence Test v/s Disability