- India set to challenge the U.S.’ hegemony of the World Wide Web at a global meet on Internet governance in Brazil and propose renaming of Internet as ‘Equinet’ for nations equal say in its operations, besides calling for “internationalization” of core Internet resources.
- The two-day,‘Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Governance’ referred to as ‘NETmundial’,India has decided to highlight U.S. dominance of the Internet and press for equal rights for all nations and 180 nations representatives debated the future of Internet governance and cyber security.
- Brazil took the lead in organizing this conference parallel to the U.S.-dominated Internet Governance Forum (IGF)spying Brazil government official reports based on documents leaked by Edward Snowden,U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) whistleblower.
- The Ministry of External Affairs drafted initial note to ‘NETmundial’ and circulated to all members representing their governments, private sector and civil society.He also stated that Internet governance should be multilateral, transparent, democratic and the core Internet resources need to be internationalized.
- India is seeking a mechanism for accountability to deal with cyber-crime committed in cyberspace, so that the Internet is a free and secure space for universal benefaction.
- All stakeholders without being limited by political boundaries need to facilitate the transfer of information technology and capacity building to developing countries,to improve cyber security, develop technical skills and enact legislation, strategies and regulatory frameworks.