- India has become the first country to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty adopted by 79 countries of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) in 2013 to facilitate access to :
- published works for persons who are visually impaired, or print disabled.
- Import and export of accessible format copies in Indian languages from the member states by the Indian authorised entities for the benefit of the visually impaired.
- The availability of published works in formats like Braille to the blind and allow their exchange across borders by organisations working for the visually impaired.
- The Marrakesh Treaty will come into force once 20 countries ratify it.It requires signatories to adopt national law provisions.
- The Instrument of Ratification was handed over by India to WIPO at the 28th session of the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights in Geneva.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-national/ india-ratifies-marrakesh- treaty-for-visually-impaired/ article6171789.ece