In Pakistan, drug usage linked to high prevalence of HIV
- A survey in Pakistan revealed that 6% of the population aged between 25 & 39 years consumed drugs in the last 1 year.
- The Drug report of Pakistan released by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) was prepared with the help of Pakistan Bureau of Statistics and the Narcotics Control Division (NCD).
- 22% were women use drugs which are easily available like sedatives and painkiller.
- Charas obtained from marijuana, heroin and other additional injecting drugs were consumed by large population.
- With very limited treatment centers its a challenge for Pakistan to provide specialist intervention to high drug dependents.
- Drugs are traded through Pakistan due to poppy grown in Afghanistan, heroin and opiates is traded to Europe, Asia and North America as it provides a big network of business.
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan have the highest levels of dependence and Pakistan is among 15 countries with raising per cent of HIV and drugs injected people touching the graph by 40 %.
- Measures are taken to reduce demand, prevention of HIV by decreasing the supply,training of professionals and prevent drug abuse.
- Golden Crescent of Drugs Flow
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)