- Heavily-armed terrorists attacked the Indian consulate in Heart and they were caught by the Indo-Tibetan Boarder Police at western Afghanistan
- The terror mission was not planned properly as per the intelligence officials
- Motive behind this was to overshadow Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi’s regional initiative of inviting SAARC leaders, including Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, for his swearing in on May 26.
- Mr. Modi spoke to India’s Ambassador in Kabul Amar Sinha after the attack. “Bolsters morale. Assures all support to brave staff at Consulate in Herat,” tweeted Ministry of External Affairs spokesman Syed Akbaruddin.
- Afghanistan President has assured that he will protect India’s Missions in Afghanistan
- Afghan Military and ITBP gunned down all the four men and Afghan officers were injured but no Indian’s were killed
- Diplomats see possible involvement of ISI in operation
- Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/herat-strike-overshadows-peace-bid/article6042929.ece