DRDO developing onboard health monitoring system for submarines
- Structured system by the Defence Research and Development Organisation DRDO is being developed to monitor health of the under- development nuclear submarines and future conventional submarines of the Navy.
- Constant health monitoring is critical to forestalling breakdown and extending its service life to maximise asset availability which earlier worked on the philosophy of predictive (prognosis-driven) maintenance.
- There are no health Structured monitoring systems in Indian Navy’s Kilo-class and HDWs submarines to signal technicians during potential breakdown.
- This integrated system was installed on the first indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant.
- The submarines Health is checked when the submarine is available at harbour periodically using portable monitoring systems comprising a network of sensors.
- INS Arihant