- The Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) located adjacent to the Guindy National Park,an institution of national importance, higher technology learning and a research institute.
- It had been accused of flouting environment norms(cleared many trees) in constructing two new hostel buildings on its campus which led to litigation in the National Green Tribunal.
- The IIT-M authorities stated that the institution was very conscious of the biodiversity of the campus and had increased the green cover on the campus from 20 % to 70 %.
- The State government has decided to drop legal action against the IIT and treat it as a special case and condone the delay in obtaining environment clearances for constructions on its campus.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/government-to- drop-legal-action-against- iitm/article6227056.ece