Gadgil Report Misinterpreted To Mislead
- Western Ghats Ecology Expert Panel has submitted the report the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests
- According to the ecologist Madhav Gadgil, this report is continuously misinterpreted by government of Goa, Kerala, and Maharashtra, by the political parties.
- According to him, this report has been deliberately misrepresented to give an impression that the environment conservation measures obstruct the developmental plans.
- Mr. Gadgil said that corporate firms, forest department, mining, and real estate mafia are continuously exploiting the Western Ghats by encroaching upon the land of forest, and by justifying them as development measures.
- Many people are trying to create controversies to stop coffee and areca-nut cultivation in the Western Ghats, however this point is not mentioned anywhere in the report.
- He said that the authority should be given to local people to make environment related decisions, because they are the ones who care for their surroundings.
- Western Ghats Ecology Expert Panel