G-7 warns Russia against splitting Ukraine
- Crimea’s bid to join Russia escalates new tensions with Group of Seven (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK & USA) warning Russia to back off or face sanction (backdrop of military muscle flexing in the region).
- G7 joined together to condemn the Russian Federation’s clear violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine and urged Moscow to cease all efforts to change the status of Crimea.
- U.S. guided-missile destroyer took part in a naval drill with a Bulgarian frigate after Crimean Peninsula proclaimed independence from Ukraine.
- To monitor activities in Ukraine, NATO deployed 2 AWACS surveillance planes to fly over Poland and Romania.
- U.S. also deployed additional fighter planes to Poland and Lithuania.
- Russia is already involved in a large-scale war drill involving 3,500 paratroopers & 36 warplanes.
- Due to present developments, Ukraine’s media regulator ordered all cable operators to stop transmitting five Russian channels.
- Crimea retaliated by broadcasting Russian TV channels on frequencies earlier occupied by Ukrainian television.
- Ukraine crisis