- Justice (Retd) K.T.Thomas has turn down the proposal to head Lokpal search panel citing that search committee job can also be done by selection committee.
- According to The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 there shall be a search committee headed by Retd. Supreme Court Judge and Selection Committee headed by Prime Minister.
- Mandate of Search Committee: To forward names to a selection committee for further selection of Chairperson and Members of Lokpal from the list provided by Department of Personnel and Training(DoPT)
- Search Committee recommendations are not binding on the Selection committee.
- Earlier Jurist Fali Nariman refused to be a part of search committee saying “I Fear the most competent, independent and courageous will get overlooked.”
- He (F.Nariman) said so because, DoPT seeks application for membership of Lokpal instead of mandating search committee to consider any names. The present rule would only deter honest person from being considered for the post.
- The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013
- Search Commitee v/s Selection Committee