- Chinese authorities on the recent gruesome attack that left many dead in the Uighur city:
- It was suicide bombing attack in which nearly 5 assailants had blown up themselves.
- The group had conspired with terrorist organisations outside China, and were carrying white flags sporting black characters in the local Uighur language.
- Members of the separatist East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), a Uighur extremist group demanding independence, have been involved in a string of attacks including the ones at Railway station. It refrained from mentioning whether they are hiding out in Pakistan, their all-weather ally.
- China has now stepped up security at checkpoints along the borders, especially along Afghanistan, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Mongolia borders to prevent smuggling in of weapons.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/involvement-of-foreign-groups-seen-in-xinjiang-attack/article6042914.ece