Protest against power line from Kaiga to Kerala
- Farmers protested against the proposed project of drawing a high tension power transmission line from Kaiga to Kerala via Kodagu by Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- The activists alleged that the project will cut across verdant forests and result in the felling of trees.
- Cauvery is lifeline of the people and drawing lines under the pretext of development will destroy forest ecology and lead to desertification of the Cauvery basin.
- The government continued on overhead cables even though there was an alternative of taking cables through underground tunnels or upgrading the existing 220 kV line.
- Kodagu-source of river Cauvery helps in irrigating acres of agricultural land in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
- It is prudent to drop the project or follow alternative line for environmental importance and economic significance to people of the region.
- Kaiga Nuclear Plant
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd