Other Books in the Line That Could Be Pulled Down From the Bookstore Shelves
- In the recent years, 4 books have managed to attract their shares of controversies. After Penguin India withdrew their controversial publication, “The Hindus – An Alternative History”, will these books also follow suit?
- These books are 1) ‘The Beautiful and The Damned’ By Siddharth Deb 2) ‘The Descent of Air India’ By Jitender Bhargava 3) ‘Sahara – The Untold Story’ By Tamil Bandyopadhyay and 4) ‘The Red Saree’, translated in English (It is about the Nehru-Gandhi parivar and Sonia Gandhi)
- The congress party has filed defamation case against the English version of The Red Saree in 2009.
- The first chapter of Deb’s book was missing when it was published. That chapter was on Arindam Chaudhuri, the management guru. Hence it attracted the defamation lawsuit from Indian Institute of Planning and Management.
- Jitendra Bhargava’s book was withdrawn by Bloomsbury India as Union Minister Praful Patel was against its distribution. He also served a legal notice by claiming that contents of this book are defamatory.
- Sahara Group has filed for the stay order at Calcutta high court to withdraw the publication of Bandyopadhyay’s book. The court has not given the final decision yet.
- Growing intolerance in India
- Right to freedom of Speech & Expression