FB Post Sparks Eviction Rumors of Northeast Tenants in Munirka
- The decision by the Munirka village Panchayat members to ask the tenants from North East to vacate the place has created quite a stir. Local cops had to interfere in the matter and bring about the compromise.
- This issue has deeply upset the sentiments of Northeast community, as they had to face lots of atrocities. The recent one being the rape of a 14 year old minor girl, who originally belonged to Manipur.
- Also, a post on FaceBook, named ‘What’s up Darj?’ has given more highlight to this issue. It mostly points at the racial discrimination towards the people of North East. The page was started as fallout of the Munirka village incident, where the tenants were evacuated without a reason. Also the landlords have got notice from the Panchayat, forcing them to comply with the evacuating decision in 3 months.
- Names of the people from Darjeeling who had to face the brunt of this evacuation Dikkat are named on the FaceBook page. In their next meeting, the Panchayat has agreed to reconsider and decide if people from Darjeeling and North East are dependable tenants or not.
- A formal complaint against this issue was logged with the Vasant Vihar police station, by the activist, Binalakshmi Nepram. Also the detail of the meeting that was held initially between the panchayat members and other members has been provided to the cops.
- Both the concerned parties debated and shared their issues extensively to find the grounds for reconciliation.
- Cultural tolerance
- North-east exodus
- Mohalla meeting
- Communal harmony