- The European Union (EU) had decided to give its member countries the right to bar GM crops, even if they have won clearances on health and safety grounds at the EU level.
- As per earlier procedures, after approval from the EU, no states could contest the matter. Although in reality, public unease over GM food, and various campaigns by environmentalists have resulted in blockage of approval in Brussels for years.
- As per new accord, when a company applies for GM clearance, a member country can raise concerns over its health, safety and environmental impact so as to be excluded from the EU. Also, those countries that want these GM crops can go ahead with them.
- The accord now is subject to approval by the European Parliament where it is expected to face considerable opposition.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/eu-nations-can-have-their-say-on-gm/article6109527.ece
- What is the European Union?
- GM Crops
- Advantages of GM Crops
- Disadvantages of GM Crops