Centre reaches out to eminent PIOs to help electronics sector
- The Government of India has reached out to eminent persons of Indian origin (PIOs) to put together ‘board of global advisors’ for developing the electronics sector in India.
- Due to lack of strong base and failure to build a strong ecosystem, the electronics manufacturing industry has not flourished in the country.The country’s demand for electronics with imports accounting for nearly $300 billion is expected to reach $400 billion by 2020.
- The Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) is reaching out to Indian-origin persons make use of their knowledge, experience and expertise.
- The electronics design and manufacturing in the country needs to foster sustainable growth trends in IT and telecom industries.
- In order to encourage an ecosystem for electronics manufacturing in the country several eminent Indian-origin scientists and entrepreneurs are asked to submit proposals and ideas and barriers are removed towards encouraging electronics manufacturing.
- National Policy of Electronics 2012 envisages the creation of a globally-competitive electronics design and manufacturing industry, and the first step in this direction was to support the setting up of two semi-conductor wafer fabs.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)
- National Policy of Electronics 2012
- Board of Global Advisors’ for Electronics sector