- The experiment performed by an international team of scientists, including a few from India, has led to the creation of atoms of element 117, which is 40% heavier than lead making it the most heaviest element thus far.
- The decay properties measured by another international team match this data thereby strengthening the case for official recognition of the long elusive element number 117.
- The target material for the synthesis of this element is called as the special berkelium target material and was produced over 18 months. Atoms of element 117 were separated from huge numbers of other nuclear reaction products and were identified through their radioactive decay.
- These measured chains of alpha-decays produced isotopes of lighter elements with atomic numbers 115 to 103, whose registration added to the proof for the observation of element 117.
- Read at: http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOIM/2014/05/05&PageLabel=13&EntityId=Ar01302&ViewMode=HTML