- The Election commission of India has clearly stated that poll campaign related news in newspapers and channels owned by political parties will fall under the purview of paid news – if found to praise a particular candidate or project that they are the winner.
- Such news appearing in party organs would be considered as election advertisement of the candidate in question and be added to his/her election expenditures.
- Action is being taken because paid news misleads people and exerts undue influence on voters.
- A news item criticizing a rival candidate will not fall under the purview of paid news but at the same time come under the purview of of the model code of conduct for which the affected candidate can approach the Press Council Of India.
- Electoral Reforms
- Paid News
- Model Code of Conduct (MCC)