- Italians in Venice & surrounding areas will vote online to gather momentum to break away from rest of Italy & form a new country. This new Republic of Veneto would be inspired by ancient Venetian Republic – a culturally & economically rich trading power house, which was eventually annexed by Napolean in 1797.
- The reasons for this decision are:
- unable to plug financial leakages in the poorer southern regions
- although the region pays $98.5 billion as taxes, it receives only 30% of the amount as investment
- 60% are in favour of independence
- The people are closely watching the independence movements in Scotland & Catalonia.
- Venice voting for independence from Italy