As bad as Falklands: Kirchner
- Argentinian President Cristina Kirchner expressed her reservations about the attitude of the West over Crimean Referendum:
- a referendum in Falklands took place in Mar 2013 & 99.8% voted to remain an overseas British territory, which was respected
- same referendum was undertaken in Crimea, which was denounced
- does definition of territorial integrity & sovereignty differ region-wise ?
- Falklands always belonged to Argentina just like how just like how Crimea does to Russia
- Falklands have been ruled by the British since 1833 & consists of 3000 inhabitants of British heritage.
- Argentina invaded it in 1982, but invain, British forces reclaimed after a bloody conflict.
- Tensions have escalated over recent offshore oil deposits close to the islands.
- Falkland dispute
- Crimean Referendum