- Indian Medical Association and United Nations International Children Emergency Fund (UNICEF) have come together to launch a nation-wide initiative aimed at safeguarding children against abuse.
- Doctors are encountering an alarming increase in the number of cases of child abuse and are most often uninformed regarding the standard procedure involved such as :
- type of questions to be asked,
- documenting and amassing evidence,
- provide reassurance and
- report it to authorities in time.
- This program aims to increase the awareness in doctors and sensitizing through sessions on how to identify child abuse, workshops and an information booklet.
- The abuser is most often a person in a position of trust or authority, with cases being reported even in schools despite corporal punishment being banned. This affects the children not only physically, but also mentally and emotionally.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-national/tp- newdelhi/doctors-to-be- sensitised-on-reporting-child- abuse-cases/article5930077.ece
- United Nations International Children Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Programmes for welfare of Children