Despite dangers, ‘moderate’ Taliban talk peace
- The possibility of endless war in Afghan, Islamabad & Kabul are formally in favor of peace decision with Afghan who once had cold relations, has improved now.
- A senior rebel who had traveled to Dubai for a peace process with Taliban members led by former minister, was later gunned by 2 assassins in Peshawar. The killing went unclaimed like others in the past.
- The Afghan secret services or Americans are blamed for killings by Taliban, where as many suspects were within the Pakistan’s indistinct military organisation.
- Taliban members wanted to progress their peace decision but feared as moves made by Pakistan clearly shows their unwillingness to participate & this could provoke another Civil war.
- Many Islamist moved away in search of shelter after they were conquered in US led invasion & Islamabad was doubtful of their return to power.
- Pakistan has strong links with Taliban leadership & supported them when they seized power in Kabul in 1996 but this position had recently changed. Prime Minister of Pakistan & their military force were worried about Taliban’s ideas influencing their own country.
- Afghanistan crisis
- Afghanistan Pakistan relations