Court fiat to Delhi Govt. on minority status certification
- Delhi High Court directed Delhi Government to appoint a ‘competant authority’ to issue ‘minority certificates’ to minority educational institutions (MEI), as non-appointment led to grave hardships to minorities.
- As per the National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions Act 2004, a competant authority should issue a ‘minority character certificate’ within 90 days for a person who wishes to establish such MEIs.
- Presently, all applications are addressed to Chairperson of National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions, which is not right. This authority to empowered to hear appeals only (appellate authority). This has denied applicants a platform to appeal.
- The National Commission is flooded with applicants already.
- National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions Act
- Minority Educational Institutions (MEI)