- Following sanctions by the US and West over its alleged involvement in Ukraine crisis, Russia intensified its bilateral ties with China and is set to sign nearly 40 deals with the same.
- China has maintained a policy of positive neutrality over Ukraine crisis and has refused to condemn Russia over its annexation of Crimea.
- The two countries will also:
- Train their fleet together in the disputed East China Sea.
- Jointly undertake significant projects in space, rocket engines, aviation and infrastructure.
- Sign an agreement for export of 38 billion cubic meters (bcm) of gas a year, thus reducing Russia’s dependence on Europe for energy exports.
- Russian President Putin, who is set to visit China on a regional security summit, also hailed Russia’s friendship with China as an unconditional foreign policy priority.
- He also urged for communication between Kiev and the separatist rebels.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/a-sinorussia-strategic-embrace-likely/article6026958.ece