“SURYAMITRA” Mobile App launched
- Surya Mitra mobileApplication is developed by National Institute of Solar Energy.
- a cuttingedge technology platform that can handle thousands of calls simultaneously and can efficiently monitor all visits of it.
- App makes ease to the operative catalyst in creating demand for solar products and in offering employment and business opportunities in the country.
Arundhati Bhattacharya 5th most powerful woman in finance
- Arundhati Bhattacharya has been ranked as the fifth powerfulwomen in finance in the latest Forbes list of 100 most powerful people in the world.
- women leaders are managing more than 3.6 million people and play a vital role in improving the economic conditions in their country.
- The list is topped by Germany Chancellor, Angela Merkel.
- The Finance list topped by IMF chiefChirstine Lagarde
- In the Forbes 100 Ranking list four Indian women have been listed: Bhattacharya has been ranked 25th, Chanda Kochhar of ICICI Bank ranked 40th, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw of Biocon (77th), and Shobhana Bhartia of HT Media ranked 93rd.
Joint Indo-Korean coast guard exercise starts on June 8
- joint exercise codenamed Sahyog-Hyeobleod-2016is being scheduled in the Bay of Bengal in Chennai.
- exercises are scheduled every yearalternately between the two countries.
- to strengthen the working level relationshipbetween the two Coast Guards and also refine the joint operating procedures.
- Since 2004, the floating assets of both maritime forces have held exchanges in the form ofcombined exercises.
US returns 200 artifacts worth $100 million to India
- Artifacts returned included religious statues, bronzes and terra cotta pieces, some2,000 years old that were looted from some of India’s most treasured religious sites.
- pieces returned is a statue of Saint Manikkavichavakar, a Hindu mystic and poet from the Chola period (circa 850 AD to 1250 AD) stolen from the Sivan Temple in Chennai that valued at USD1.5 million.
- items being returned include bronze sculpture of Lord Ganeshestimated to be 1,000-year-old. The artifacts that reflects India’s astounding history and beautiful culture.
People in News
Dr Shahid Rasool Takes Charge at CEMCA
- he was a director of the university’s Educational Multimedia Research Centre
- he has a doctorate in mass communication and journalism from the University of Kashmir.
- will guide CEMCA institute whichis an arm of the Vancouver-based Commonwealth of Learning that ensures effective utilization of educational media resources for distance education.
Naresh Goyal re-elected to IATA Board of Governors
- Naresh Goyalhas been re-elected to trade association of the world’s airline body IATA’s Board of Governors for the three-year
- would be the fifth successive tenurefor Goyal at the IATA Board of Governors. He is the only representative from India on this board.
- he will take part in providing policy directives and guidance to IATA industry committees and to their subsidiary bodies.
Suzuki chairman Osamu Suzuki to step down as CEO
- Suzuki Motor’s Chief Executive and Chairman Osamu Suzukiwill step down as CEO after revealing its use of wrong mileage testing methods.
- company had used wrong tests to compute mileagefor models going back to 2010,
- submitting figures compiled from indoor tests performed on individual parts, rather than vehicle coasting tests.
- Osamu Suzuki will however continue to be a member of the board of directors of Maruti Suzuki
Eminent journalist KK Katyal passes away
- KK Katyalpassed away after a brief illness. He was 89 year old.
- journalist had worked with various newspapers that includes The Statesman, Hindustan Times, The Hindu and United States Information Services
- also had worked towards improving Indo-Pak ties andafter his retirement in 2004.
- Katyal was awarded the GK Reddy Memorial prizein 1994
Father of modern Nepali music Ambar Gurung passes away
- Ambar Gurunghas passed away. He was 79 year old and was suffering from diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.
- known as father of modern Nepali musiccomposer
- had composed Nepal’s National Anthem Sayaun Thunga Fulka Hami and more than a 1,000 songs in his six decade career.
Chess Grandmaster Viktor Korchnoi dies
- Russianchess master Viktor Korchnoiregarded as one the greatest chess players, passed away in, Switzerland. He was 85 year old.
- he lost the Candidates final to Karpov in 1974, who was adjudged as theworld champion in 1975when Bobby Fischer refused to defend his title.
- He bagged four USSR chess champion, also a five-time member of Soviet teams that wonthe European championship, and a six-time member of Soviet teams that won the Chess Olympiad.
- he clinched theWorld Senior Chess Championship in 2006
Business and Economy
Walmart Retains Top Position in Fortune 500 List
- Walmartheld the top in the Fortune 500 list for the fourth consecutive year released in 2016
- Apple made the progress in the profit, with $53 billion jumped from No.5 to No. 3 in 2016.
- Other Movers:
commoved from No. 29 to No. 18
Walgreens jumped from No 35 to No. 19
Facebook jumped 85 spots to No. 157
Tintu Luka won silver at Josef Odlozil Memorial Athletics Meet
- Tintu Lukabagged a silver medal in 800 meters
- She was behind Iceland‘s World Youth Championship gold winner Anita Hinriksdottir
- also holds the national record of 1:59.17 which she did in 2010.
- Luka is coached by PT Usha, qualified for Rio Olympics during the World Championships in Beijing in 2015.
West Indian all-rounder Kavon Fubler banned for seven years
- Bermuda Cricket Board has banned all-rounder Kavon Fublerfrom the cricket for seven years after being charged with Level 4 offences
- he was banned for smashing the stumpsand abusing an umpire after being given out leg before wicket.
Soumyajit Ghosh reaches a new career-high of 61 in ITTF rankings
|Achanta Sharath Kamal||69||73|