Mission Bhagiratha for Drinking Water Distribution throughout Telegana
- phase-1 of a flagship project of Telangana government called ‘Mission Bhagiratha‘, which is aimed at providing piped drinking water to every household in the state.
- Objective :To provide 100 liters of clean drinking water per person in rural households and 150 liters per person in urban households.
- project aims to provide water to about 25000 rural habitations and 67 urban habitations.
- It is an extensive26 lakh km stretch of pipelineswould be laid to quench the thirst of Telangana towns and villages apart from providing water for the people needs.
- Also, other development projects were started:
- 152-km Manoharabad- Kothapalli new railway line which connects Hyderabad and Karimnagar,
- NTPC’s Telangana Super Thermal Power Project Stage-1 (2×800 MW), Ramagundam,
- Kaloji Narayana Rao University of Health Sciences, Warangal.
- Revival of Ramagundam fertilizer plant in Karimnagar district.
- Singareni Thermal Power Project (2X600 MW) at Jaipur in Adilabad district.
WEF India Economic Summit at New Delhi in October
- World Economic Forum(WEF), will host its annual IndiaEconomic Summit at New Delhi on October 6-7.
- summit is expected to attend by over 500 business and political leaders including top policymakers and CEOs.
- meet will be staged under the theme, ‘Fostering an Inclusive India through Digital Transformation’.
- This year’s summit comes at an important juncture as India is the fastest-growing G20 economy just as the world is entering the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
- Three main themes for this year’s program are:
Mastering the Fourth Industrial Revolution;
2.Driving Sustainable and Equitable Growth,
3.Improving the Ease of Doing Business.
TN CM Jayalalitha gives cash awards to five sportspersons
- cash prize of Rs 1.45 crore to fiveSports Persons who has won international Sports honors.
- Rs 25 lakh to Jenitha Anto ofTiruchirappalli for winning an international chess tournament for the fourth time in Serbia.
- other persons who had received the grant of Rs 55 lakh to C Ajith Kumarfor winning three medals in the competition including gold in medley relay.
- list also includesR Naveen of Chennai who receivedRs 25 lakh for winning gold in medley relay while Women’s medley relay player L Samayasri of Coimbatore and Triple Jump player S Priyadarshini of Chennai were given Rs 20 lakh each for winning silver title.
Newly designed web portal of Home dept launched in Odisha
- new Web portal has been designed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) featured with accessibility guidelines that can be used by the differently-abled personsto see and hear the website.
- web-portal hosted in National Cloud MeghRajthat made available in Odia and English languages, it also has enable access to all directorates of departments as well as services like Secretariat Pass, Tracking the Missing Child, Reservation of Odisha Bhawan, CCTNS.
College of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry of Central Agricultural University (CAU) in Nagaland
- Veterinary University has established seven colleges in the scope of advancement of human resource and agricultural and allied sciences, during the 12th Five Year Plan.
- Union Cabinet had given its nod for the amendment of CAU Act, 1992 to take in Nagaland under the jurisdiction of the Central Agricultural University, Imphal
- establishment of the college Nagaland government has provided suitable land free of cost to help the people to achieve higher growth in animal husbandry sector.
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) farm science centre in Peren.
- One Seed Hub is being established in ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Tripura Centre in Agartala.
Kathakali dance troupe in Egypt for first time
- group of dancers of Kaathakali comprising 9 members visited Egypt as part of the 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- also Performed in other cities including Port Said, Ismailia and the Egypt Society for Culture and Development in Cairo.
Business and Economy
BSE signs MOU with IIT Kanpur
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) has signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with IIT Kanpur for developing tools for strengthening cybersecurity and advising the stock exchange on current and future cyber related issues.
- The key highlights of the MoU include:
- Cooperation for cyber security research in financial markets,
2.Developing an environment to deal with cyber security challenges and
3.Tools to strengthen cyber security as also to advise BSE in its cyber related issues.
- the institute will assist BSE in testing its vulnerabilities in IT system and network and help forming guidelines and auditing security operations.
- BSE has an encumbrance to create comprehensive robust and resilient cyber security framework.
- It tied up with IIT Kanpur, as it is India’s leading academic institute in computer science.
Indo-Russian project to replace An-32 in limbo
- medium 20-tonne transport aircraft that have been planned to replace the An-32s tobe jointly developed by India and Russia, seems uncertain as the delay persists.
- In the scope of the project India having second thoughts, however Russia planned to move with the initial design as per the agreement.
- India and Russia has inked agreement in 2007 to develop and produce the 20-tonne aircraftto replace the An-32 transport aircraft in service in both the Indian and Russian air forces.
- a joint venture has been established by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) and the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) of Russia with an investment of $300 million each.
- Engine details were not clear in the agreement as a result differences over the nature of the engine made the project in limbo.
People in News
Goa Film Festival honors renowned Bollywood filmmaker N Chandra
- Bollywood filmmaker N Chandra was honored with the Lifetime Achievement award during the 8th Goa State Film Festival held at Goa
- Chandra is an Indian producer, writer and director, known for gritty realism, in his early dark and loud films such as Ankush,Pratighaat, Tezaab and Narsimha (1991).
- Chandra also made the successful but critically scorned Style and its sequel Xcuse Me.
- worked as associate director and editor in Anil Kapoor starrerWoh 7 Din (1983).
- Eventually, with Ankush, his directorial debut, in 1986, Chandra began his projection of the angry young man.
- He wrote, directed, produced and edited the film about four frustrated unemployed men who roam the streets of Bombay, which also starred Nana Patekar. Made at a budget of Rs 12 lakh, the film and grossed Rs 95 lakh to become surprise hit of 1986, the year when many blockbusters failed.
- he remade Telugu film, Pratighatana(1986) as Pratighaat (The Revenge, 1987), starring Sujata Mehta and Nana Patekar, a film on the gruesome reality of politics in India.
- With Tezaab, N Chandra scored a box office hat-trick at his previous hits,Ankush (1986)
and Pratighaat (1987)
- In early 2014, reports of a sequel of hit film Tezaab with a new cast made news
CSS Corp appoints Manish Tandon as its new CEO
- US based Global tech major CSS corporarion has named Manish Tandonas its new Chief Executive Officer of the firm.
- Tandom is currently the head of Healthcare & Life Sciences, Insuranceand High-Tech Manufacturing businesses at Infosys.
- He will replace (Tiger) TG Ramesh who has been transferred as a Non-executive Board director
- also worked as a director in Infosys Lodestone, Infosys Public Services and EdgeVerve board also upon this new appointment he will concurrently to be inducted in to the Board as a whole time Director in CSS.
- He graduated from IIT Kanpur and also Gold Medalist from IIM Bangalore.
Kannada actor ‘Sanketh’ Kashi dead
Kannada comedy actor Sanketh Kashi died of a heart attack
Kashi started his career with theatre and was known as ‘Sanketh’ Kashi for his association with Sanketh troupe, which was led by late actor Shankar Nag.
He was 50 and he has acted in more than 140 films.
He made his debut in films with “Madhu Masa” in 1989.
‘Vietnam Veedu’ Sundaram passes away
- Tamil Script writer and director Vietnam Veedu Sundaram died in Chennai.
- Sundaram was born in Tiruchi and Vietnam Veedu became part of his name after he wrote the script, first for the eponymous play and then for the film, starring Sivaji Ganesan.
- He had worked with Sivaji Ganesan, MGR, Amitabh Bachchan and Kamal Haasan.
Dalit woman appointed as priest in Kudroli Gokarnanatha Temple
- a Dalit woman has been appointed as priest in Kudroli Gokarnanatha Temple in Karnataka’s Mangalore city.
- move is bold as Dalits are still not allowed to enter some temples or localities dominated by the upper castes.
- The two new archaks Lakshmi, 65, from Chilimbi and Chandravathi, 45 from Ullal, who were trained to perform pooja, entered the temple and offered pooja to Lord Gokarnanatha and other deities.
- Lakshmi, the woman priest, entered the temple and offered their pooja to Lord Gokarnanatha and other deities and she has been working in the temple since last year.
Science and Technology
China holds first nuclear security emergency drill
- China has held its first comprehensive nuclear security emergency drill Code-named as Fengbao-2016to expand the nuclear power generation.
- China had 27 nuclear power plants that in operation as of October 2015, with a total installed capacity of 5 GW, while the country constructing 25 units witha total installed capacity of 27.51 GW.
- country also stepping up the installed nuclear power capacity to 58 GW, besides it also to generate 30 GW by 2020
Environment and Ecology
12,300-year-old fire pit found in northern Utah
- team of archaeologist’s spots the ancient tribal fire pit with tools, a spear tip and tobaccoseeds that is 12,300 years old on a military testing range in northern Utah in the United States.
- The artifacts discovered will be looked after at the Natural History Museum of Utah.
- team Research Group collected charcoal, animal bone fragments and other remnants from the cooking pit.
IBJA announces awards for medal winners at Olympics
- Mumbai-based India Bullion and Jewelers Association(IBJA) announced that Indian medal winners at the Rio 2016 Olympics will be awarded with 500 gm Sovereign GoldBonds and silver.
- Bullion association said Gold Medal winners will be given Sovereign Gold Bonds of 500 gm and 1 kg silver will be awarded to Silver Medal winners.
- four set of commemorative stamps featured with sportsmen engaged in Badminton, Shooting, Wrestling and Boxing where India got medal in the London Olympics have been released.
- The Summer Olympics is underway with the tradition of the Olympic Games as governed by the International Olympic Committee in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 206 Nations taking part in the mega event including first time entrants Kosovo and South Sudan.