Delhi Government issues First Solar Policy
- Significant step towards approval of Solar Policy aims to form the capital “an Environment-friendly solar city”through Rooftop solar System.
- The policy stated the installation of 1 Giga Watt solar Power Capacity by 2020
- Future upgradation of power capacity to 2 Giga Watt during the following five years
New policy for IT-based start-ups in Gujarat
- Information Technology and Electronics Start Up policy to support and provide financial assistance to 2,000 start upsin the state over next five years.
- Estimated Investment: 7000 Crore
- Aimed to lower down the unemployment and create lot of employment opportunities.
Gangetic River Dolphin to be City Animal of Guwahati
- Assam’s Guwahati became the first city in the India to have its own city animal
- Guwahati District administration had organized online and offline voting for three-month-long
- The voting attracted 60,003 participants todecide the city animal and Gangetic river dolphin received 24,247 votes among three protected creatures.
Agreement to Modernize Irrigation and Improve Water Management in Odisha
- Union Government and the Manila based Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $120 million loanagreement
- loan comes under the Orissa Integrated Irrigated Agriculture and Water ManagementInvestment Program
- It is the second tranche of a $157.5 million financing facility.
- funding will be used for modernizing seven irrigationsub projects resulting for the improved irrigation in over 100,000 hectares, and strengthening of Water User Associations.
Arundhati Bhattacharya 5th most powerful woman in finance
- Arundhati Bhattacharya has been ranked as the fifth powerfulwomen in finance in the latest Forbes list of 100 most powerful people in the world.
- The Finance list topped by IMF chiefChirstine Lagarde
- In the Forbes 100 Ranking list four Indian women have been listed: Bhattacharya has been ranked 25th, Chanda Kochhar of ICICI Bank ranked 40th, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw of Biocon (77th), and Shobhana Bhartia of HT Media ranked 93rd.
Anaconda-16 exercise in Poland
- Nato countries biggest ever joint military exercises Anaconda-16was launched in Warsaw, Poland.
- Exercise is managed by Poland’s Lt Gen Marek Tomaszyckiand around 31,000 Polish, US and other troops are participating in the land, sea and air exercises.
- Intended to testNato’s ability to respondto threats also to showcase the strength as a response to concerns about Russia’s assertiveness and actions.
Prime Minister Visited Switzerland
- Narendra modi made a visit toSwitzerland to ask support for India’s Membership in Nuclear suppliers Groups and to raise the issues related to black money
- Agenda:To expand Economic and investment ties and to have discussion with Indian Scientists working at CERN.
Business and Economy
Second bi-monthly monetary policy 2016-17
- Reserve Bank of India announced Second Bi-Monthly Monetary policyfor the year financial year 2016-17
|Current Rates||Rate (Remarks)|
|Repo Rate||6.5% (Unchanged)|
|Reverse Repo Rate||6% (Unchanged)|
|Marginal Standing Facility Rate (MSF)||7% (Unchanged)|
|Bank Rate||7% (Unchanged)|
|Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)||4% (Unchanged)|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)||21.25% (Unchanged)|
IOC honors IOA chief N Ramachandran with Olympic Order
- International Olympic Committee has conferred the highest award of the Olympic Movement Olympic Order to Indian Olympic Association president Ramachandran forhis outstanding services
- Ramachandran became IOA president in 2014.
- Olympic Order is the highest awardand is bestowed for mainly notable contributions to the Olympic Movement.
Indian-origin professor in UK awarded by Queen
- Indian-origin professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyyahas been conferred with the prestigious Regius Professorship in Manufacturing by Queen Elizabeth II for his outstanding contribution in manufacturing.
- He has advised the UK government on manufacturing, innovation, and technology also contributed to driving growth and improving productivity.
- Warwick Manufacturing Group at the University of Warwick, which was founded by Lord Bhattacharyya, has been bestowed the prestigious Regius Professorship in Manufacturing.
Science and Technology
World’s first 3D printed plane THOR unveiled by Airbus
- World’s first3D-printed aircraft was kept on display in the Airbus booth at the International Aerospace Exhibition in Berlin Germany.
- Thorwhich stands for Test of High-tech Objectives in Reality that was made as windowless plane weighs 20kg and is less than 4 meters long that assembled with has just 3 parts.
- Aircraft is totally 3D printed, apart from the electrical elements, which are erected from a substance called polyamidethat makes lighter, faster and cheaper.
Serena tops Sharapova as world’s highest paid sportswoman
- Serena Williams to become the world’s highest-paid female athlete, according toForbes
- She has earned $28.9m in prizemoney and endorsements over the past year dethroning Russia’s Sharapova who held the top Position for 11 years.
India to host junior hockey World Cup
- International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced that the men’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016 willbe played in Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh from December 8 to 18 this year.
- Will be the 11th edition of the Hockey Junior World Cupfor men, since 1985 it has been held every four years.
- Men’s event will feature 16 of the world’s best junior men’s teams. The qualified teams include Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Germany, India, Japan, Pakistan and Spain.
- The women’s Hockey Junior World Cup takes place shortly before in Santiago, Chile in November end.
Kulmeet Bawa appointed Adobe MD for South Asia
- Adobe Systems appointed Kulmeet Bawa as Managing Directorfor South Asia operations
- Kulmeet Bawa will report to Paul Robson, President of Adobe Asia Pacific, and will start his new role later this month on June 24.
- Bawa presently works as the Head of Sales for India operations of Adobe
- Focused on increasing the company’s footprint across verticals, specifically in the Digital Marketing business.
Ashok Ganapathy appointed as Director of Airtel Business
- Bharti Airtel appointed Ashok Ganapathy as Director – Airtel Business of its Mumbai, Maharashtra, Goa and Gujarat circles
- He began his career with Hindustan Unilever in 1990 as a management
Umang Bedi to take over as Facebook India MD
- Bedi will lead in building and maintaining strategic relationships with top clients and regional agencies in the country.
- Prior to joining Facebook, he was Managing Director at Adobe Systems for South Asia region.
Jayant Kapre quits as President of United Biscuits
- He had stints with Gillette, Accenture, Wrigley and PepsiCo before joining United Biscuit.
- Jayant Kapre is joining as managing director of the American flavors maker International Flavors that makes flavors to soft drinks, biscuits, confectionery and alcoholic beverages.