| [Download not found] |
Lok Sabha passes Bankruptcy Bill
- Bill passed: Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code Bill, 2016.
- will help improve India’s ranking in the World Bank’s ‘Ease of Doing Business’ index.
Indo-Japan Collaboration in the Field of Science & Technology
- India and Japan are in close collaboration on several focus areas Science & Technology.
- India and Japan agreed to exchange sportspersons, coaches, experts and administrators to improve the standard of the game in both nations.
Rs 9,367 cr under MGNREGA to drought-hit states
- Relaxed norms under the Scheme to make available additional employment of 50 days per household over and above the 100 days in areas affected by natural calamities during 2015-16.
- MGNREGA aims to enhance livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of wage employment in a year to every household
Gram panchayats in Odisha to increase by 500 to 600
- Move is to encourage making of more than 500 panchayats in Odisha.
- There would be one panchayat for each 1,000 populace.
Mumbai’s international airport four times more assemblages than other airports
- About 34,000 passengers rushing for space in an acre at the international airport.
- India’s busiest airport- Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport caters to 8,980 passengers per acre.
- Bangalore International Airport is 4,528 passengers per acre.
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad, is 2,197 passengers per acre.
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Texas, is 3,566 passengers per acre
Zimbabwe to print own version of US dollar
- To introduce its own version of US dollars Known as bond notes in order to ease a cash shortage in the country.
- Will introduce bond notes of $2, $5, $10, and $20, which will hold the same value as their US dollar counterparts.
- Bond notes will be assisted by $200 million provided by the Africa Export Import Bank.
- Country announced the US dollar after ditching its own currency in 2009 following sustained hyperinflation.
Business and Economy
ICICI Bank signs MoU with BRICS Grouping-promoted New Development Bank
- To create a platform for sharing knowledge and deepening network connectivity between NDB and ICICI Bank
Federal Bank ties up with US based Payments Company for faster international remittances
- LLC for facilitating online inward remittance to India in Rupees for their NRI customers based in USA.
- US-based NRI customers can transfer money instantly to their NRI account in India from their US bank account even by using Debit card/ Credit card.
- Transfastis a prominent omni-channel provider of cross-border payments solutions and operates a best-in-class network across 120+ countries in the USA, Asia, Europe and Africa.
BHEL commissions 500 MW thermal power unit in Jharkhand
- 500 MW thermal power unit at Bokaro Thermal Power-A Station of Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) in Jharkhand.
- Has added another coal-based power plant to the grid by successfully commissioning thermal unit on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) basis.
People in News
Kumar Rajesh Chandra appointed Chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
- Body is responsible to lay down standards and measures in respect of security of civil flights at international and domestic airports in India.
- Bihar cadre 1985 batch IPS officer Chandra is currently working as Additional Director General (Modernization), Bihar Police.
Four Judges For SC and transfer of Uttarakhand Chief Justice to Andhra Pradesh
- These are recommendations passed by the Collegium.
- Supreme Court’s current strength of judges is 25, beside the sanctioned strength of 31. With the elevation the strength will go upto 29
Biography of Shashi Kapoor released
- Biography titled Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star, has been authored by film journalist Aseem Chhabra on veteran actor Shashi Kapoor.
Science and Technology
SpaceX rocket launches satellite, then lands on ship at sea
- Driverless SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launched from Florida to put a communications satellite into orbit, then made a swift return landing on an ocean platform
- Second successful landing after similar attempts were made in last month.
- Company successfully landed a rocket on a floating landing pad in April after four failed attempts.
Offshore patrol vessel ICGS Shaurya launched
- Indigenously designed Indian Coast Guard ship Shaurya’ launched at the shipyard at Vasco.
- Will be commissioned into service in early 2017
- Fifth in a series of six off-shore patrol vessels
- Capable of travelling at a speed of 23 knots and has a range of 6,000 nautical miles
8000-year-old paddy discovered in China
- Could be the earliest wet rice farming site in the world.
- also found carbonized rice that was confirmed to have grown more than 8,000 years ago based on carbon dating
- Was discovered at the Neolithic ruins of Hanjing in Sihong County in east China’s Jiangsu province in November last year.
Singer Angelique Kidjo wins human rights award
- For Standing up to injustice by Amnesty International and showing exceptional courage.
Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016
- Mangalore based Corporation Bank has been awarded with Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016
- Award is instituted by the Federation of Industry, Trade and Services [FITS].
Swiss government honours Yash Chopra with statue
- Bollywood director Yash Chopra has been honored with a special statue by the government of Switzerland.
- Director who shot most of his romantic dramas in the lush mountains of Switzerland.
BWF rankings released
- K Srikanth – 12, HS Prannoy-25 and Ajay Jayaram-21 in Men’s Singles
- Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy- 20 in Men’s Double Rankings
- Saina Nehwal-8 and PV Sindhu-10 in Women’s Singles
- Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa-14 in Women’s Doubles rankings
India finish fourth in junior shooting World Cup
- Indian shooters won bronze medal in the women’s 25m Pistol event on the ISSF Junior World Cup held in Suhl, Germany.
- women’s team of Sanjana Sehrawat, Chinki Yadav and Gauri Sheoran shot a total of 1695
- Russia won the gold medal with a total of 1708 points
- Germany had to settle for the silver medal with a total of 1698 points.