Intensive seamless rural patrolling network launched in Punjab
- an intense rural patrolling system, RRPRS – Rapid Rural Police Response System, in order to ensure the safety of the rural areas of Punjab, which comprises of around 12,000 villages.
- all the rural people can call “100” in case of distress and the police will response within a short span of not more than 20 minutes.
- 24 X 7 facility with dedicated control rooms and dedicated twin lines to reduce channel traffic.
Renaming of Mhow railway station after B R Ambedkar
- renaming MHOW Railway StationAfter B R He was born at Mhow, Madhya pradesh in 1891.
- Mhow was renamed as Dr Ambedkar Nagarin 2003 by the Madhya Pradesh government.
An official internet speed check app by TRAI
- TRAI’s MySpeed App is free and measures the download and upload speed of your internet connection, for both Wi-Fi and Cellular connectivity
- also gives real time data from customers and show the mobile data speed of each operator in a given area on real time basis.
- app also allows users to send their speed test, signal strength, network information resultsto the regulatory body.
Centre to allot Rs 400 Crore for developing airports in UP
- 100 crores to each of the following airports in order to assist the development. The regional airports are as follows:-
- airports at Moradabad, Meerut and Faizabadare also expected to be operational with Uttar Pradesh agreeing to invest Rs 100 crore each on their development.
India’s first Commercial Court and Commercial Disputes Resolution Centre inaugurated
- to metamorphose the judicial system to the next level of innovative contemporary system
- centre is located in a dedicated, ultra-modern and large Commercial Court complex in Raipur, capital of Chhattisgarh.
- Various services like Video-conferencing, E-Court, E-Library, E-Filing and E-Summonsare some of the facilities rendered for litigators through this new system.
- court complex also contains an arbitration centre and a mediation centre.
BRICS Working Group meeting on “Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency”
- maiden meeting of BRICS Working Group meeting on“Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency” held in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh on 4th and 5th July.
- meet rechecked the vitality and necessity of the advancing cooperation between the member countries in the field of energy efficiency and energy developing technologies.
- meeting acknowledged the role of the energy saving and energy efficiency in ensuring sustainable economic development of the member countries.
- energy efficiency concludes with the following important ideas:-
- To Implement the areas of cooperation between the BRICS countries as identified in the Memorandum of Understanding on energy saving and energy efficiency.
- To Prepare recommendations for the development of cooperation in the area of energy saving and improvement of energy efficiency for the BRICS Ministers of Energy.
- To Elaborate the work plan on development of cooperation in energy saving and energy efficiency within BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) till 2020and beyond.
- measure of the commitment to this cause, each BRICS Member country decided to appoint a focal point for interaction and coordination with other BRICS countries and to support the Working Group in deepening this cooperation.
Approval of MoU between India and Mauritius in the field of rural development and poverty alleviation
- Memorandum of Understanding between India and Mauritius in the field of Rural development and Poverty Alleviation on 5thJuly 2016.
- Both the countries have a large segment of their population living in rural areas and are pre-dominantly dependent on agriculture and its allied activities for their livelihoods.
- MoU will help to constitute a integral framework for cooperation between the National Development Unit, Prime Minister’s Office of the Republic of Mauritius and the Ministry of Rural Development of the Republic of India.
- a Joint Committee on Cooperation on Rural Development will be established which will meet alternatively in both countries on mutually agreed dates.
- Key objectives:
- Exchange of relevant information and documents in the sphere of rural development, including scientific and technical informationtogether with policies and support measures adopted to foster rural development
- Cooperation by exchanging relevant information on issues of mutual interest
- exchange visitson programs to foster sharing of experience
- Collaboration to strengthen their human resource capacity through sector-specific in-country training in Mauritius and training at reputed institutions in India.
- To facilitate the transfer of latest technology, state of the art equipment and materials, and share best practices.
People in News
19 New Ministers inducted in the expansion of the council of Ministers
- in order to exercise the various schemes and services promised through the Union Budget 2016
- According to the Article 75, the number of Council of Ministers should not exceed 82.
- after this ministerial expansion the number of union ministers surpassed to 83 breaking the constitutional sealing limits.
Prakash JavadekarPromoted to HRD Minister, replaces Smriti Irani
Smriti Irani – Textiles
Arun Jaitley loses Information & Broadcasting retains Finance Ministry, Corporate Affairs
Sadananda Gowda – Statistics and Programme implementation
SS Ahluwalia Appointed MoS Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Parliamentary Affairs
Vijay Goel – MoS Youth Affairs, Sports
Ramdas Athawale – Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry
M J Akbar Congress MP to MoS External Affairs
Ananth Kumar – Parliamentary Affairs Minister
Venkaiah Naidu – I&B Minister
Ravi Shankar Prasad – Law Minister
Anil Madhav Dave – Environment Minister
Babul Supriyo – Urban Development Minister
Krishna Raj an MP from Shahjahanpur. With her, the number of women in PM Modi’s cabinet is seven
5 – Ministers, Nihal Chand, Ram Shankar Katheria, Sanwar Lal Jat, Manuskhbhai D Vasva and M K Kundariya – dropped from PM Narendra Modi’s council of Ministers.
Tejinder Kalra – New CEO of Indus Towers
- Tejinder Kalra was the former Global Head for Bharti Business in NOKIA.
- Tejinder Kalra has been associated with Reliance Infocomm, Satyam Infoway, Sprint RPG India amongst other organizations in the past.
- Indus towers, one of the largest telecom tower companies in India
Madhav Dhekane took over as Director of ISRO Inertial Systems Unit
- Earlier he had also held various positions in ISRO such as Deputy Director, Control, Guidance & Simulation Entity at VSSC, Chief Controller at VSSC and Associate Director (R&D) at VSSC.
- He had joined VikramSarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) in 1983
- experience and expertise in the launch vehicle control and guidance design, onboard software development and mission design, and analysis that helped ISRO.
Former French Prime Minister Michel Rocard dies
- He was a member of the European Parliament, and has been strongly involved in European policies until 2009.
- Rocard held several cabinet portfolios including agriculture and planning.
- He became politically active while studying at the prestigious Institute of Political Studies. He headed the Socialist students’ movement.
- Rocard was well-known for his aggression for planned directives to allow software patents in Europe,
Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor and Nobel laureate, dead at 87
- Elie has won a Nobel Peace Prizefor becoming the life-long voice of millions of Holocaust victims in 1986.
- He was a founding board member of the New York Human Rights Foundationand remained active throughout his life.
Former president of World Peace Council, Romesh Chandra passed away
- Aveteran communist leader and Former president of World Peace Council
- Romesh Chandra was born at Lyallpur (Punjab) in 1919.
- He joined Communist Party of India (CPI) in 1939 and participated in Indian Freedom Struggle as a Student leader.
- was also the editor of “new age”, the central organ of CPI.
- joined World Peace Council (WPC) headquarters in Helsinki in 1953 and became its president in 1977.
- was a recipient of Lenin Peace Awardand also holds the record of addressing the United Nations Assembly many a times, the highest number of times by an Indian.
Science and Technology
Rarefied ant mimicking spider species found in Kerala
- new species of ANT-MIMICKING SPIDERwas found in the WAYANAD Wildlife Sanctuary of KERALA.
- peculiar mimicking spider has been jointly discovered by researchers of the Centre for Animal Taxonomy and Ecology (CATE) of Christ College, Irinjalakuda, and the Oxford Museum of Natural History, London.
- this unique spider belongs to the Aetius genus of the ant-mimicking spider family Corinidae.
- spider exactly resembles the ant by raising its front legs during its movement as like ants.
- spider also utilizes this legs (antennae) to escape from its predators.
Niranjan wins eight medals in IWAS World Games
- Bengaluru hailed para swimmer Niranjan Mukundanhas bagged eight medals at the recently-concluded IWAS (International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports) U-23 World Games in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Niranjan clinched gold medals in 200m freestyle, 50m butterfly and 50m breaststroke, silver in 100m fly and 50m freestyle, as also bronze in 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke and 100m backstroke events,
Saudi Arabia becomes Associate Member of ICC
- Saudi Arabia turned into the 39thAssociate Member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) after being unanimously elected during the Full Council meeting in Edinburgh.
- Saudi Cricket Centre (SCC) has 4350 cricketersand 80 committed facilities
- has been an Affiliate Member of the ICC since 2003
- ICC announced that the suspensions of the Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) and the USA Cricket Association (USACA) were also ratified by the ICC Full Council.
OAI – AN OFFICIAL VOICE OF INDIAN OLYMPIAN COMMUNITY 2016
- to bring harmony and to look after the former & current Olympic athletes,
- This organization is directly affiliated to World Olympians Association (WOA) under the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- OAI has paved a clear track and has also put emphasis on some areas for the development of the athletes such as outreach, education and skill development, education and health insurance and pension, mentorship of young athletes, legal advice and IOC athlete career program.
- OAI has been founded by Olympians namely
Shiva Keshavan (luge),
Viren Rasquinha (hockey),
Malav Shroff (sailing),
Adille Sumariwalla (athletics),
Ashwini Nachappa (athletics),
Saina Nehwal (badminton),
Hakimuddin Habibulla (swimming) and
MC Mary Kom (boxing)
Business and Economy
SBI Card launches premium credit card ‘Elite’
- Host of facilities targeting high net worth customers.
- card is launched on the Master Card World platform and is enabled with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology
- Enables the customers a contactless payment experience, adding more speed and suave to their wallets.
- Card comes with a joining fee of Rs 4,999 and all customerswill receive a welcome gift worth Rs 5,000 in the form of vouchers from popular lifestyle and travel brands.
- Third-largest card issuer SBI Card that has total card base of 3.75 million.