Gumthala Garhu becomes first Wifi hotspot village in Haryana
- Haryana’sGumthala Garhuvillage became the first Wifi hotspot in the Haryana telecom circle under the bulk plan of BSNL.
- state-run BSNLalso informed that it has a plan to have238 Wifi hotspot locations with 1072 access points during the current financial year.
- Wifi hotspot facility at the village uses bandwidth of 10 mbps through BSNL’s state-of-the-artnetwork which has coverage from each access point is about 100 meters. In this Wifi hotspot, data can be accessed by multiple users simultaneously.
Centre approves use of chilli-based PAVA shells as alternative to pellet guns
- Pelargonic Acid Vanillyl Amide (PAVA) also called Nonivamide as an alternative to the pellet guns. The recommended chilli-filled grenadewhich will be used in the rarest of rare cases.
- move comes from the centre ahead of the all-party delegation visit to Jamu and Kashmir as Pellet guns made1,000 people with sustained injuriesin clashes with security forces in the state.
- seven member committee headed by Joint Secretary in the Home Ministry T.V.S.N. Prasadwas constituted by the centre to find alternative to the Pellet guns which was introduced by the state police in 2010.
Haryana government to develop 340 villages as Horticulture Villages
- HaryanaGovernment has signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with the US-based Apio Inc. for processing and packaging of horticultural products.
- 340villages would be developed as ‘Horticulture Villages’ at a cost of Rs 93 crore and 140 clusters would be established in these villages
world class library in NIT Silchar
- ‘Bharat Ratna Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Learning Resource Centre’in NIT, Silchar and start up centre in NIT Silchar under the start up India campaign launched by Prime Minister.
- world class library is established with the help ofUniversity of Illinois, USA.
- 28 crore rupees spent to create a world class library in the 80 thousand square feet carpet area.
69th session of WHO Regional committee meeting
- five day long 69th session of WHO (World Health Organisation)Regional committee meeting at Colombo on 5 September 2016.
- In the Regional meeting all the 11 countriesof South East Asia including India’s Health and Family Welfare Minister JP Nadda took part in the event.
- Sri Lanka will adapt the declaration on Non-communicable diseases, also the resolutions and Adoption of the report of the 69 th Session of the Regional Committee.
- In the end of the meeting it will declare that Sri Lanka to be the first country in region to eliminate malaria.
Bangladesh hangs Islamist Mir Quasem Ali for 1971 war crimes
- Bangladesh government a top Islamist party’s Mir Quasem Ali, at Kashimpur Central Jail on the outskirts of the capital Dhaka
- The action comes from the government amid series of terror attacks in the nation.
- The Jamaat-e-Islami party figure has been executed for war crimes including murder, confinement, torture and incitement to religious hatred during the war which he committed in 1971.
- He was arrested in 2010 and convicted in 2014 and he sought a presidential pardon and declined later.The war crimes tribunal set up by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in 2010.
WHO certifies Sri Lanka malaria free
- Sri Lankahas been certified as malaria-free island country by World Health Organisation (WHO)
- the island nation is the second in the WHO South-East Asia Regionto eliminate malaria after Maldives.
- Country recorded less than 1 000 cases of malaria per year by 2006, while for the past three-and-a-half years, no locally transmittedcases have been recorded.
- declaration was announced at the WHO South-East Asia Region’s annual Regional Committee meeting in the presence of health ministers and senior health officials from all 11 Member States in Colombo.
Business and Economy
MobiKwik launches one step offline payments with ‘Bubble Pin’
- MobiKwik, fin-tech player has launched one-step offline payments with ‘Bubble Pin’.
- pin is a combination of numbers and alphabets. Bubble pin also makes the transaction more secure as no phone number is required to be shared.
- pin can be generated on the MobiKwik app by clicking on ‘Pay at store’and is valid for 60 seconds
Rajasthan partners with Cisco for connected learning solution
- Rajasthan’seducation department has partnered with US-based technology firm Cisco to promote digital learning across the state using virtual digital room solutions.
- Aim:To establish Digital Learning Solution Rooms (DLSRs) which will deploy virtual digital classrooms across 12 institutes
- covers various initiatives of digitising the state that include projects on urban development and accelerating local innovation.
People in News
Two-term Lok Sabha MP from Madhya Pradesh Arif Beg passes away
- Former union minister and senior BJP leader Arif Baigdied in Bhopal after suffering a heart attack.
- He was first elected to the lower house from Bhopal on Bhartiya Lok Dal ticket in 1977.
- He was again elected to Lok Sabha on BJP ticket in 1989and he had left the BJP in 1996 to join Congress, but could not gel with that party.
- He rejoined BJP in 2003
Rio medallist Sakshi Malik appointed Wrestling Director of Rohtak University
- Rio Olympics bronze medalist Sakshi Malikadded another feather to her belt after she was director of Rohtak university based in her home town Rohtak in the state.
- Haryana Government has announced that she will also receive Rs 21 lakh out of Haryana Sportsand Youth Affairs discretionary fund and a plot measuring 500 square yards besides the new appointment.
- Sakshi’s Coach Mandeep will also be given promotion under special rules
- state has mulling to construct a small sports stadium in each village, besides establishing 880 Yogshalas and Vyayamshalas at village level this year.
John Abraham roped in as Arunachal Pradesh Tourism’s brand ambassador
- government of Arunachal Pradesh has roped in Bollywood bighead John Abraham as a brand ambassador for state tourism to boost tourism.
- he is of the outlook that the state has lot to offer to its tourist be it culture, heritage, adventure sports and music.
- BEViacom18 who have partnered with the Arunachal Pradesh government to provide strategic consultations to promote the tourism in the state.
Science and Technology
GRSE hands over fast attack craft “TIHAYU” to Indian Navy
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE) handed over the Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC), “TIHAYU” to Indian Navy.
- warship measuring 48 X 7.5 m with a displacement of around 315 Tons, has an endurance of around 2000 nautical miles at 12-14 knots speed.
- “TIHAYU”is the second ship of the ‘Follow-on’ Series of WJFACs while INS Tarmugli is the first ship of the same series
Environment and Ecology
IUCN adds Eastern gorilla to critically endangered list
- world’s largest gorillasare included in the IUCN Red list.
- It was announced at the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)global conference in Honolulu.
- Gorilla’s population decline of more than 70% in 20 years.Just 5,000 Eastern gorillas left on Earth
- Four out of six of the Earth’s great apes are now critically endangered, “only one step away from going extinct,” including the Eastern Gorilla, Western Gorilla, Bornean Orangutan and Sumatran Orangutan.
- IUCN Red List update includes 82,954 species including both plants and animals. One third 23,928 are threatened with extinction.
Ace Shooter Abhinav Bindra announces retirement from shooting
- 33 year old shooter Abhinav Bindraofficially announced his retirement from shooting after 2016 Summer Games.
- India’sfirst and only individual Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra started his Olympic journey started in Sydney in 2000.
- He qualified in three Olympic finals including his golden journey of Beijing in 2008in his pet 10m air rifle, while he missed out in Sydney and London.
- Abhinav was appointed as the head of five-member review committee constituted by National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) to probe the Indian shooter’s Rio Games debacle.
India A wins Quadrangular series beat Australia by 57 runs
- India Arode on a solid all-round performance clinched the Quadrangular one-day series, thrashing Australia by 57 runs in the final match.
- Mandeep Singhwho was named Player of the Match combined with captain Manish Pandey.
- India A have now claimed the last three ‘A’ series, defeating Australia A on each occasion in the final.
Sikki and Pranaav win Brazil Open Grand Prix
- Indian mixed doubles pair of Sikki Reddy and Pranaav Jerry Chopradefeating the Canadian pair of Toby Ng and Rachel Honderich
- Indian pair ranked 65 in World defeated the second seeds Toby and Rachel in a summit clash at Costa Cavalcante.
- This is the third-ever Indian badminton mixed doubles pairto win a Grand Prix title.
Shahan becomes first Indian to win Asian Karting Championship
- Young Racer Shahan Ali Mohsinhas become the first Indian to win the Asian Karting Championship held in Malaysia.
- In the contest the twelve years old teen experienced a strong challenge from his main rival Hayden Haikal to clinch the title.
- He is leading the micro-max category of the JK Tyre National Rotax Max KartingChampionship will face challenge in the final round scheduled on September 25.