“India Rankings 2016” released by NIRF
- Report by NIRF covered 3,500 educational institutes in 4 Categories University, Engineering, Management and Pharmacy.
- In the Tech category, IIT- Madras topped the list.
- In the management category, IIM-Bangalore leads the chart.
Asia-Pacific Remote Sensing Symposium hosted in India
- Symposium is organized by the Indian Society of Remote Sensing (ISRS),
- a professional society of more than 4000 scientists and researchers
- Attended by the chief of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) among heads of several other space agencies.
- President of French National Space Agency, Vice-President of Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Vice-Administrator of China National Space Administration, Director General of EUMETSAT and Mexican Space Agency also participated
Tirmbakeshwar Temple Trust bars entry for all
- Traditional and hereditary priests will be allowed to enter the sanctum
- The ban will be in place until the next hearing
- Located in Nashik district of Maharashtra
Highlights of the 4th NSS
- Leaders from more than 50 countries and four international organizations took part.
- Two-day summit was aimed at getting political leaderships directly involved in dealing with the threat of nuclear terrorism.
- India and Pakistan need to make progress in reducing their nuclear arsenal
- To reduce the global nuclear arsenal it is necessary for the U.S. and Russia, the two largest possessors of nuclear weapons, to lead the way.
- Islamic State (IS) terror group obtaining a nuclear weapon is one of the greatest threats to global security. World leaders have to work together to prevent it from happening.
FCRA tweaked to boost CSR spend
- Will allow political parties to accept donations from overseas companies whose ownership of Indian entities is within the foreign investment limits
- Before now, FCRA had banned political parties from receiving funds from any foreign source.
NHRC notice on ‘go-slow’ promise
- The commission has observed that the step will deny the people of India access to generic medicines at affordable prices.
- Notice comes after reports that came in March that the United States-India Business Council (USIBC) had been verbally assured that India’s patent offices would take a restrained approach in handing out licenses to produce cheaper, generic versions of drugs patented by American companies.
- USTR has placed India on its “priority watch list” for two years now, saying its patent laws favor the local drug industry in an unfair manner.
Business and Economy
India’s first cash giving app ‘CASHe’ launched
- It is the idea lplatform for consumers to take control of their short term finances.
- Provides users a personalized experience to borrow cash anytime, anywhere within minutes for their needs.
Reliance AMC named as India’s “Best Employer Brand”
- Only mutual fund Company to get this recognition in India in the top 25 AON list for 2016.
- Reliance Asset Management Company has been listed among the best employer brands.
World’s largest oil firm Aramco to invest in India
- The company regarded India as the most preferred investment destination.
- Saudi Arabia is currently India’s largest crude supplier,
- supplies one-fifth of the country’s oil
Alaska Air Group to acquire Virgin America in $4 bn deal
- It will become the US’s fifth largest airline company.
- Will pay $57 in cash per share for Virgin America, or a total of $2.6 billion.
- The newly merged company will be headquartered in Seattle, US.
Blackstone to buy Mphasis for $1.1billion
- Largest deal by Blackstone in India and is the largest private equity transaction in the country.
- Mphasis, IT Services provider which offers Applications, Business Process Outsourcing and Infrastructure Services.
Science and Technology
Ballast water conveying obtrusive species to Indian coasts
- Ballast water carried by ships is enabling non-native intrusive species over the Indian Coast.
- Study was led by the Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala.
- Survey has found 10 invasive species in the biodiversity rich intertidal habitats of the Kerala coast
- One seaweed, one species of bryozoan, one species of mollusc and seven species of ascidian.
Reusable Blue Origin rocket makes third successful vertical landing
- Unmanned crew capsule also landed safely, using parachutes.
- This opens up the potential for cutting costs for Space travel and making rockets as reusable as airplanes
Biopolymer for water purification
- Eco-friendly nano technology for water-softening applications.
- Developed by a team of Scientists from Institute of Advance Study in Science & Technology in Assam
Planet with triple-star system found
- Known planets with three stars appearing in their sky are rare
- This is the fourth such discovery.
- The planet is found in the new system with one star named KELT-4Ab, a gas giant planet, similar in size to Jupiter
- Other two stars, named KELT-B and C, are much farther away and orbit one another over the course of approximately 30 years.
- Triple-star system offers a unique opportunity for scientists working to try to understand how it is that gas giants, such as KELT-4Ab, manage to orbit so close to their star.
People in News
Former Bombay Ranji player Ranjan Baindoor passes away
- Played for Bombay Ranji team from 1974-75 to 1984-85.
- Former secretary of Tata Sports Club
- Served as the chairman of the selection committee for the under-19 team.
- Current member of the selection committee of the senior and Under-23 sides.
Former Italy coach, AC Milan player Cesare Maldini dies
- Won four Series A titles during his time with Milan and was skipper of the side in 1963.
Vietnam Police Chief Tran Dai Quang sworn in as President
- Received 436 votes from 465 assembly members
- Quang is the first police general to fill the post,
- Succeeds Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung withdrew his candidacy.
Vedanta sets Guinness World Record
- Guinness World Record for planting 208,751 saplings at a solitary area in under 60 minutes.
- mass plantation drive was organized in Mansa, Punjab on October 30, 2015
Cyprian Kotut wins 40th Paris marathon 2016
- He also won the Paris half-marathon last month, completed the 195-kilometer(26-mile) race in 2 hours, 7 minutes and 11 seconds
- Kenya’s Visiline Jepkesho and Cyprian Kotut were dominant winners at the 40th edition of the Paris Marathon.
Nico Roseberg wins 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix
- His fifth win in a row.
- Kimi Raikkonen finished second for Ferrari. Lewis Hamilton finished third for Mercedes.