MoU for plantation of trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary
- Haryana & Punjab Forest Department signed MoU with Ministry of Railways to plant the trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary.
- Railway can contribute significantly towards the Green India Mission
Kaleshwaram Irrigation Project launched in Telangana
- Aim: Connecting the Godavari River through a series of barrages, reservoirs and enhanced irrigation schemes.
- new formed Telangana state will get water from both Krishna and Godavari rivers as per allocations done
Spices Park to be setup in Nizamabad
- The Spices park will be set up in Padigal in Nizamabad district with investment of Rs. 31 Crore
Parliament clears mines Bill 2016
- Rajya Sabha approved an amendment to the mining law that allows Transfer of captive mines in cases of mergers and acquisitions.
- Likely to help transfer of non-auctioned mines to happen smoothly.
- Amendment is in the larger interest of workers and the provision was not intended to benefit any industrial house.
SC appointed RM Lodha-panel to reform Medical Council of India
- Five-judge constitution bench headed by Justice AR Dave ordered to reform the Medical Council of India.
- to oversee how the regulator of medical profession and education in India function
- MCI’s policy decisions will require approval of the oversight committee.
U.N. arbitration court rules India should send Marine to Italy
- An Italian marine accused of killing two Indian fishermen in 2012 could return home according to the UN Arbitration court.
- UN’s Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague ruled that Sergeant Salvatore Girone be allowed to return home until the dispute is resolved through arbitration.
- Verdict is the first big pronouncement of the PCA (Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague), after Italy approached it in June 2015.
- Two Italian marines — Massimiliano Latorre and Mr. Girone are facing the charge of murdering two Indian fishermen in 2012 off the Kerala coast.
- Fishermen were killed when the marines on duty aboard MV Enrica Lexie, an Italian-flagged oil tanker, fired at them.
Non-trade issues at WTO, lack of legal experts worry India
- Developing nations, including India, are facing a double disadvantage at the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) Dispute Settlement Body (DSB).
- nations are challenged not only by the lack of a sufficient pool of trade law experts to represent them effectively at the DSB
- Also by certain efforts to bring within the body’s ambit non-trade issues such as labour and environment.
49th Annual Meeting of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) started at Frankfurt (Germany)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016 predicts the growth rates to 5.7% each in 2016 and 2017, from 5.9% projected last year.
- Participants on theme ‘Asian Economic Outlook – 2016
Business and Economy
NSE to launch new exchange for MSMEs
- National Stock Exchange to launch a trading platform for small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- First dedicated exchange for micro SMEs.
- New platform is a joint initiative of NSE and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
- In line with the Central Bank’s (RBI) idea to instrument such a model for the benefit of a vast section of small businesses in India.
BHEL commissions 600 MW thermal power plant in MP
- Avantha group’s Jhabua Power Ltd developed unit has been commissioned at the 1×600 MW Thermal Power Project (TPP) located in Seoni district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Second project of APIL earlier the power major BHEL commissioned the 1×600 MW in Chhattisgarh.
- BHEL will look into the contract envisaged design, engineering, manufacture, supply, erection and commissioning of steam turbine, generator and boiler, along with associated auxiliaries and electricals, besides controls and Instrumentation and electrostatic precipitators.
Google acquires business technology start-up Synergys
- To scale training offerings for Google Apps to its customers and customers’ users.
- Tech Start-up founded by an Indian-origin entrepreneur Varun Malhotra in 2013 with an aim to teach users how to use Google Apps.
- Google Apps ranges from Gmail, Calendar, Drive and Docs, offer cloud-based productivity and communications around the world.
People in News
Bitcoin creator confirms identity
- Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright has publicly identified himself as Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto.
- The computer scientist, inventor and academic launched the currency date back in 2009 with the help of others.
- Jon Matonis is also one of the founding directors of the Bitcoin Foundation. He is convinced that Wright is who he claims to be and is responsible for a brilliant achievement.
- Bitcoin is a form of digital virtual currency, created and held electronically.
- The system uses peer-to-peer model as all nodes verify transaction
Indian American Sikh woman elected to key Republican Position
- Indian based American Sikh woman Harmeet Kaur Dhillon from California has been selected to a major position in the Republican Party at the National Level.
- Hails from Chandigarh
- Elected as the newest national Committee of the Republican National Committee
- First woman elected to this position of vice chairman of the California Republican Party.
Sameer Chadha appointed partner and CEO of KPMG’s offshore arm in India
- KPMG’s offshore India appointed Sameer Chadha as partner and CEO
- Chadha joins KPMG Global Services (KGS) from Barclays Shared Services.
Sachin Tendulkar to be India’s goodwill ambassador at Rio Olympics
- Sachin Tendulkar has accepted India’s Olympic Association’s invitation to become the Goodwill Ambassador for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Goodwill ambassadors would play as iconic sports persons and celebrities will spread the idea of Olympic movement in every nook and corner of the country.
Kishore Biyani appointed as MD of Bharti Retail
- Kishore Biyani as the managing director of Bharti Retail group as part of the reconstitution of the board
- He is a director at Future Group and also been appointed as Joint Managing Director of Bharti Retail.
- Besides the Future Retail he will be responsible for the front-end retail operations of the group.
Former J&K Congress minister passes away
- Senior Congress leader Romesh Sharma passed away after a prolonged illness.
- He was also Former Jammu and Kashmir Minister.
- He is Minister from Nowshera Constituency
- also an Ayurvedic doctor
Science and Technology
World’s smallest engine developed
- Microscopic engine which is set be the smallest in the world, which capable of driving nanobots and medical robots
- Tiny engine is just a few billionths of a meter in size, which is powered by light and may help develop nano-machines that can navigate in water, sense the environment around them, or even enter living cells to fight disease.
- Engine produces a propulsive force on a microscopic scale that is a hundred times greater per unit weight than any known motor or muscle.
- Contains gold nanoparticles of about 0.06 microns in diameter in water with a gel-like polymer called pNIPAM.
World’s smallest thermometer created from DNA
- World’s tiniest thermometer that is 20,000 times smaller than a human hair
- Will significantly help in understanding of natural and human designed nanotechnologies by enabling to measure temperature at the nanoscale.
- Nanoscale thermometers open many exciting avenues in the developing field of nanotechnology, and help to better understand molecular biology.
Free internet for visiting devotees at Golden Temple
- Punjab’s Golden Temple will now have free Wi-Fi internet access for the devotees
- This facility will not be available inside the sanctum sanctorum of the temple and the marbled area around the water pond.
- Service would be available in all nearby routes around the periphery of Golden Temple, besides all the guest-houses run by SGPC in the temple.
Leicester wins its first Premier League title
- Leicester city FC secured its first Premier League title short of playing after second-place Tottenham drew 2-2 at Chelsea.
- was playing in the second tier only two years ago came close to be demoted again last year
- Leicester could be the first club since Nottingham Forest in 1977-78 to win the league title for the first time, having only once before in 1928-29 finished as runners–
Australia lead India in ICC test rankings
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- West Indies