Chandranna Bima Yojana launched in Andhra Pradesh
- Insurance scheme – Chandranna Bima Yojana for the working class people on May Day
- Investment: 132 Crore for the implementation
- 5 Crore workers would be covered under the scheme
- 5 Lakh for Permanent disability and Rs. 3 Lakh for Partial disability
- 5 Lakh would be paid if the Insurer worker met with an accidental fatal
Swachh Bharat Mission funds released in Punjab to achieve clean India Mission
- Funds Sanctioned: 16 Crore 79 Lakh Rupees
- Union Government has allocated 221 Crore Rupees to achieve the mission till October, 2019
- Number of Municipal Corporation City: 9 except Ludhiana Corporation
Odisha Skill Development Authority becomes operational
- Program will be headed by IT entrepreneur Subroto Bagchi.
- New initiative will guide, implement, coordinate and oversee all skill development Programs also to ensure quality skill training standards and sustained employability of trained youths.
- Program head will be accorded the rank of a Cabinet Minister in the state and draw a salary of only Re 1 a year for his service.
Reservation in promotions in the State as unconstitutional
- Court observed that giving priority to reserved categories over general classes in promotions is not justice.
- Order affects above 30,000 employees and officers with possible repercussions in other states.
- 16% posts for scheduled castes and 20% for scheduled tribes in elevations saying they violated Supreme Court guidelines.
MoU signed for setting up of IIT in Jammu
- State government is committed for setting up IIT Jammu with highest standards in a par with other IITs in the country.
- 625 acres of land has been sanctioned at Jagti in Nagrota for the purpose of setting up an IIT Jammu.
Govt launches MICE initiative for upgradation of tourism sector
- initiative named MICE which is based on meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions for the upgradation of tourism sector in India
- Tourism Ministry allocated funds to the States and Union Territories’ administrations to develop tourism-related infrastructure.
Army utilizing solar energy for disposing ammunition
- Method uses steam generated by concentrated solar technology (CST). Steam is used to melt explosive material inside shells of munitions with calibers ranging from 40 mm to 130 mm.
- Mirrors are used to concentrate solar energy to convert water to steam which is directed on the shells.
- Medium and high calibre ammunition is filled with Tri-Nitro-Toulene (TNT), which has a melting point of 80 degree Celsius which can be melted with steam.
LPG scheme for poor women
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, which aims to provide five crore LPG connections to women in Below Poverty Line (BPL) households over the next three financial years
- Cost of the scheme is 8000 crores.
UJALA Scheme – National LED program
- Scheme is being implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of PSUs under the Union Ministry of Power.
- Flagship project of the Govt. of India where it wants every home in India to use LED bulbs so that the net power or energy consumption rate comes down and the carbon emission rates can also be checked.
Real Estate Act comes into force
- Act has set into motion the process of making necessary operational rules and creation of the institutional infrastructure to make the Act effective on ground.
- Law aims to protect homebuyers from real estate developers who fail to deliver on time, and regulate India’s murky real estate sector in the country.
Wipro, partners set up Saudi Arabia’s first all-women biz park
- Move intended to create 21,000 jobs by 2025 and give women a critical role to play in a way that serves the objectives of the nation
- World’s largest oil major Saudi Aramco as the strategic advisor and anchor of this initiative.
- Move also facilities and infrastructure at the park set in Riyadh, as well as training and employing up to 21,000 Saudi women.
Business and Economy
Paytm ties up with Wipro for payments bank
- Paytm has joined hands with Bengaluru based IT major Wipro Ltd to create the requisite technology infrastructure for its payment bank which is said to start its operations soon.
- Tie up is to implement the core banking solution for Paytm and also program managing the integration of other key systems like the anti-money laundering solution
- IT major Wipro will service to Paytm in interface its existing systems with the core banking solution.
Zone Startups to launch accelerator for women entrepreneurs
- The six-week Program and will be a first-of-its-kind. It is an international footprint of the Ryerson University and the BSE Institute of BSE
- Various bootcamps, workshops, demo days will be hosted
Apollo Hospitals signs MoU with Osler Health for research in chronic disease
- Aims to positively impact the health and wellness of the patients they serve.
- The two organizations will begin by identifying areas of cooperation, collaboration and innovation, particularly around the range of diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
- Pilot project to enhance the continuity of care for patients with complex needs travelling between India and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) in Canada for extended periods of time.
People in News
Housing.Com appoints DilipTuli as Senior VP
- Prior to his new appointment he was a director with the deal advisory division at KPMG consultancy.
- Will assist Locon with company’s strategy and oversee new business initiatives such as transaction facilitation and fulfillment services.
Rohit Sharma Signs as Brand Ambassador for Hublot Watches
- He will promote the Hublot’s signature Classic Fusion Aerofusion Chronograph edition in the upcoming days.
Former Jan Sangh president Balraj Madhok passes away
- Became a full-time member of the RSS in 1942 and politically active in Jammu and Kashmir.
No Time to Pause – book by Pavithra Ramesh
- Story about a girl who, for want of privacy and independence goes to college in a different city.
- Book chronicles the life of a typical college student who chooses to reside miles away from her family to get value education.
Science and Technology
ePaisa spins its digital wallets business into a new mobile application
- Mobile POS solutions company ePaisa launched its digital wallets business into a new mobile application Master-Wallets.
- New app enables merchants to accept payments from any digital wallet without having to go through the hassle of opening an account with each and every wallet company.
China developed world’s first graphene electronic paper
- OED Technologies of China has developed the world’s first graphene electronic paper
- Graphene e-paper is more pliable and has more intensity and its high-light transmittance means optical displays will be much brighter.
- Graphene is derived from carbon, meaning production costs will be much lower than for traditional e-papers, which use the rare expensive metal indium.
Online app Adi Praman for tribal caste validity certificate in Maharashtra
- Application would make the entire process of securing caste validity certificate transparent, fast, and easy and would effectively curb the menace of bogus certificates.
- Application would help the government achieve the goal of inclusion as envisioned under the Digital India Program.
Mobile App namely ‘‘Indian Customs- Guide to Travellers’ launched
- App has been developed by Bengaluru Customs to inform international travelers who may, inter-alia, be traders/exporters/importers about Customs Baggage rules.
- User friendly and serves as a useful tool for quick and effective dissemination of information about to clarify doubts and concern of passengers.
Environment & Ecology
Amazon surprises with new reef system
- Study observed that a massive coral reef that stretches for some 600 miles.
- Reef system extents over 3,600-square miles along the ocean floor, stretching from French Guiana to Brazil’s Maranhao.
- The Amazon is the largest river by discharge of water in the world, also second longest in length.
Three eminent Indian Born scientists become Royal Society Fellows
- Physicist Sriram Ramaswamy, Director of TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad
- Biochemist Ramanujan Hegde, MRC Laboratory of Microbiology, U.K.
- Applied mathematician Lakshminarayanan Mahadevan, Harvard University
Indian Shooters Bag 3 gold, 1 Bronze at ISSF Junior World Cup
- A Gold in the men’s 25m standard pistol team event – Rituraj Singh (569 points), Shivam Shukla (550 points) and Arjun Das (542 points)
- Gold in team events of Women’s 50m Rifle – Gaayathri Nithyanadam (618.4 points), Sonika (616.9 points) and Ayushi Podder (611.3 points)
- Gold in Men’s 25m Standard Pistol by Rituraj Singh
- Bronze in the women’s 50m rifle prone by Gaayathri Nithyanadam
Nico Rosberg wins F1 Russian GP
- Fourth consecutive victory in a row this season.
- Hamilton now lags behind by 43 points in second, with Raikkonen a further 14 points adrift in third spot.