Setting up of India Post Payments Bank approved
- Setting up the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB)as a Public Limited Company under the Department of Posts with 100% Government of India (GOI) equity share.
- Total Expenditure incurred: 800 Crore.
- All Indian Citizens and 40% of the Country’s People in outside the country will be benefitted.
Social welfare benefits to transgender community in Odisha
- OdishaState Government has initiated to provide the social welfare benefits toTransgender who are belongs to most deprived.
- Aim:To improve their overall social and economic status.
- Odisha is the first state to undertake this measure.
MoU To Enhance Cooperation on Energy Security, Clean Energy & Climate Change
- Memorandum of Understanding ( MoU) between the Government of India and the Government of the United States of America was signed to enhance cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change
- Objective:Contribute to a global effort to reduce the rise in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Approval for thethree agreements between India and Qatar.
- Purpose:Cooperation in the field of Skill development, Tourism and Customs.
- Skill Development: Facilitate workforce mobility, skill development and placement of Indian youth in overseas jobs in Qatar
- Tourism: India received approximately 6,313 tourists from Qatar in 2015
- Customs: Co-operation and mutual assistance in customs matter.
Sachin Tendulkar’s to feature in Kerala Government’s Anti-Drug Campaign
- Sachin Tendulkarhas agreed to feature a campaign against drug and liquor abuse in the state after a request of CPI-M LDF government in Kerala.
2 Indian-origin women in Forbes’ self-made American women list
- Forbes’ annual list of America’s 60 wealthiest and most successful self-made women entrepreneurslist two Indian-origin women have featured.
- India-born Neerja Sethi, who is a co-founder of IT consulting and outsourcing firm Syntel with her husband Bharat Desai
- ranked 16th on ‘America’sRichest Self-made Women’ list
- president and CEO of Arista Networks Jayshree Ullalis ranked 30th.
- richest self-made woman in America is topped by ABC Supply owner Diane Hendricks is worth 9 billion US dollars
India among top five in 2015 in green energy spending
- India being ranked among the top five nations in new investments, and in the top four as regards creating jobs in the green energy sector.
- India’s investments in renewable energy sector increased to $10.2 billion in 2015, when compared to $8.3 billion in 2014.
Business and Economy
BRICS bank to issue first Yuan denominated bonds
- ShanghaiBased New Development Bank of the BRICS countries is set to issue its first Yuan denominated bonds
- plans to release more bonds in local currencies including in Indian Rupee
- Involving nations:Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS); Head: Indian banker M V Kamath
- Focus:To finance sustainable development projects in the emerging markets and developing countries
Trai launches mobile app to take on pesky call, SMS complaints
- The 1909 DND toll-free number serviceexists right now as well, and users can file complaints
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India have launched an app named‘DND Services’
- will help mobile users to manage unsolicited commercial communications to curb the pesky call menace.
- The DND service allows residents of India to block pesky callers and texters, along with telemarketers
Johnson & Johnson to buy Vogue International for about $3.3 billion
- Johnson & Johnson would acquire personal-care products company Vogue Internationalfor about $3.3 billion in all cash deal.
- move would increase its position in the hair care market and potentially build up its consumer products segment.
- beauty products of Vogue are sold in the United States and in 38 other countries.
TERI signs MoU with IKSL
- New Delhi based Energy and Resources Instituteand a subsidiary of Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited Kisan Sanchar Limited (IKSL) inked a pact
- MoU helps farmers by providing them information about efficient use of natural resources to help them increase their productivity.
- cooperation will include creating awareness and benefitsof clean lighting and cooking solutions,
People in News
Navin Agarwal appointed NADA chief
- Navin Agarwalwas appointed chief of National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA), working for dope-free sports for five years.
- He is a 1986 batch IPS officer.
- NADA is the national nodal agency responsible for promoting, coordinating, and monitoring the doping control program in sports in all its forms in India.
Novak Djokovic becomes the first player to win a $100m prize money
- Novak Djokovicbecame the first professional tennis player to earn $100 million in prize money
- he made his 10th French Open quarter-finals beating 14th seed Spain`s Roberto Bautista Agut
- Tennis great Roger Federer earned$98,011,727 since he turned pro in 1998, isthe next closest player to breaking that barrier.
- American Women’s tennis great Serena Williams is the leader, having earned a total prize money of $75,929,696 in 21 years in women’s